Multiplying Two Mixed Numbers with the Same Fraction
The trick to multiplying two mixed numbers with the same
fraction is to use the distributive property. The trick belows
works when the sum of the integer parts of the mixed numbers is
multiplied by the fraction to equal an integer. The trick is:
- Square the fraction and write the product.
- Add the integer parts and multiply the sum by the
fraction. Hold this number in memory.
- Multiply the integer parts together and add the number
from the previous calculation. Write the result.
- Square the fraction: . Write this
- Add the integer parts to get 5 + 3 = 8. Multiply
- Add 2 to 5 Ã— 3. 5 Ã— 3 + 2 = 15 + 2 = 17. Write 17.